Having trouble sleeping and don’t want to take prescription sleep medications? Worry not as there are “natural” sleep aid to combat your insomnia.
Firstly, you need to identify the cause to your nightly woes. If caffeine is the culprit, limit them! Of course, if you normally have a hot drink before bed, reach for herbal teas instead.
There are a number of herbal teas that can help with insomnia:
- Valerian tea is commonly used to treat insomnia. Valerian is a natural tranquilizer.
- Passion flower is another herb that is used to help with sleep problems. It is a natural sedative.
- Hops can either be consumed by making it into a tea or you can sleep with a pillow containing hops. Hops is also a natural sedative.
- Chamomile is a time-honored sedative herb which can be safely used by children and adults alike. Chamomile tea is commonly used for insomnia and restlessness combined with irritability, particularly in children
Of course, drinking tea is not the silver bullet. You will still need to adhere to some bedtime rules:
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule. Arise at a specific hour each morning, regardless of the previous night’s sleep to help set your biological clock
- Keep the room at a cool to moderate temperature. Excessive heat disturbs sleep
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco, and caffeinated beverages (especially in the evening). Note: Although alcohol may help a person fall asleep, it causes subsequent sleep to be fragmented.
- Use the bedroom for sleeping and sexual activity only. If you can’t fall asleep, don’t get angry at yourself; get up, leave the room, and engage in another activity like reading or stretching.
- Avoid napping longer than one-hour or after four pm.
- Turn off the telephone.
- Try a relaxation technique, such as, biofeedback, meditation, yoga, progressive muscle relaxation, or massage to prepare the mind and body for sleep.
Discpline is the key to good quality sleep. In my opinion, sleep is one of the most deeply healing and revitalizing experiences, so don’t give it up!
you may also like...
Powered by Facebook Comments